Friday, November 5, 2010

Interesting People and Events

One thing that I have been making sure to take advantage of while in DC is free things! To me the best price in the world is free and in DC there is plenty of thing to do here that are free!!!

About 3 weeks ago I went with NFFE to meet with Congressman Steny Hoyer. Congressman Hoyer sat down with us and talked about what could be done to get people fired up for the election. Also at the beginning of that week I went with my WII class to meet with former Congressman Tom Davis. Congressman Davis is a republican congressman who made compromises and worked with the Democrats on issues that were in congress. With Congressman Davis I was able to talk to him and ask him questions. The class talked with Congressman Davis about steroids in baseball and why congress talked to only baseball players, the current status of the republican party, health insurance/the obesity epidemic, and what happened at Walter Reed. I will admit I was the one to bring up Walter Reed and I questioned him why it took so long to get help for our veterans that were supposed to be getting helped at Walter Reed.

I also had the chance to talk with the main lobbyist at Public Citizen. To be honest he has not been my favorite person to meet with it was interesting at the end because at the end I asked this man what he thought of the tooth pick law. The tooth pick law is a law that says that if a lobbyist wants to feed an elected official that the food must be able to fit on a tooth pick. When I first heard about this (Thanks to Top Chief!) I thought that it was crazy and idiotic. Well to get back to the lobbyist I asked him what he thought about it and I told him that I was asking this because of my feeling towards the law. Well can you guess what happened next? Well the lobbyist told me that the tooth pick law was HIS ideal and HIS law!!!!! So as you can guess I was a embarrassed about it but the lobbyist was very nice about it and he explained the in depth what the law is about.

Other than people I have also attended some pretty interesting events. As I wrote last weekend I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear and as I wrote it was AMAZING!!!!

On Wednesday I went to a town hall debate hosted by Fault Lines. Again very interesting event to attend. There was lots to talk about and lots of debating and I can tell you that I was part of that debating! The only thing that stink is that the comments that I made ended up being cut from the final show :(

With meeting these people and going to these events I have notice and have become a bit of a ball buster and to be honest I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment